Thursday, May 22, 2008

RELIGION IN AMERICA; DUAL LOYALTIES

As a devoutly practicing Jewish American, there are multiple loyalties that I hold dear. My religion is first and foremost. It is the faith of my ancestors and the traditions that I hope to pass on to my children. This faith has held steadfast through thousands of years of horror, torture and pain as millions of Jews, men women and children, willingly gave up their life and kept their faith intact.
I believe that this devotion is what has kept us alive as a people. The idea that our religion has consistently meant more to us than life itself is one that defies reasonableness but defines our reason for being. Still throughout Jewish history the one unifying factor that has united all Jews, regardless of their knowledge of the Torah or their level of observance, has been their willingness to die for their faith.
My next loyalty is to the country that I live in, the United States of America. This wonderful country has made it possible for the first time in history for Jews to practice their faith freely, without the fear of persecution. The vision of our founding fathers of a great nation that is tolerant and accepting of all religions has truly changed the international landscape to the point where communism and authoritarianism are becoming more and more isolated, and will hopefully eventually wither away. I am and forever will be grateful to this country for allowing me to celebrate Shabbat, wear a Yarmulka, circumcise my son, and live as a Jew openly and proudly.
So when I hear influential people in the USA making statements that imply that Jews are not as welcome here as Christians it scares me. When I hear that “America is a Christian nation” and “let all Jews who don’t want to say merry christmas go back to Israel” it troubles me and should concern others. When US Presidents and their close advisers make subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) remarks that seem to blame the Jews for the problems that we face as a country, it scares me. It reminds me of the tribulations of my noble ancestors and how they reacted in the face of bigotry, and it makes me promise to do the same.
I fully believe that America will continue to be at the international forefront of democracy, and that we will always be able to live freely as Jews here. But if the day would ever come where I would have to choose between my religion and my country, the choice would be an easy one. And when I read the paper and watch the news and I see the anti-semitic bigotry being espoused, I think to myself…to which party to these people belong, both past and present? Just listen to the candidates and those whose endorsements they eagerly accept.

No comments:

The Faux News Network Principles


A) We distort, you abide
B) Or we retort if you deride, unless we choose not to
C) Complete sentences are acceptable in lieu of complete truths
D) It’s OK to criticize the 2006 Democratic Congress for all America’s problems since 2001
E) We shoot from the flip
F) We’re not always accurate but we’re always certain
G) On what we feel is wrong in this world, we can’t stop people from saying I don’t agree or I don’t care, but we won’t let them say I didn’t know
H) The director’s board has a whim of irony
I) In times of emergency, we should rally around our President: In times of democracy he should do the same for us
J) We proudly plagiarize in advance, examples available upon request
K) It’s easy to be fun-based when you’re fact based
L) Good news parody makes for good news parity
M) And, of course, our goal is and always will be to be the most trusted name in Faux News